Saturday, August 3, 2013

Mmmmm Peaches!

Peaches are definitely a summertime treat. Whenever I think of peaches I think of the summer, which is a great reason to preserve some now for the winter! On a cold, January day I can open a jar of peach preserves and be transported back to the warm, sunny days of summer!

We do not have a peach tree or at least not one that is yielding fruit yet; so we went to our local orchard and bought some. I decided to make peach preserves for starters then hope to can or freeze some too so we can REALLY enjoy the peachy goodness this winter.


 
 
I discovered an easy way to peel the peaches while researching recipes and such. The quickest way to skin the peaches is to blanch them first (just like I do with tomatoes). You will need to place them in boiling water for 30-90 seconds depending on the ripeness of the peach. I found out the hard way that if the peach is not yet ripe enough it will need longer in the boiling water and still may be harder to peel and process. From what I have read, it is best to use fruit that is not too ripe though when making preserves.



Once your peaches are peeled and pitted, you can start chopping or mashing. I used my food chopper or mini food processor to make quick work of this. Be careful not to puree the fruit (I know my family prefers a few bits of peaches in the preserves). I also had to cook the peaches first since they were not super ripe when I started. So, I just put them in a large sauce pan over medium heat until soft about 20 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on them and stir frequently to prevent burning. I found this out the hard way too! After chopping or mashing the fruit you simply measure 6 cups of fruit and 4 cups of sugar and bring to a boil, add one box of pectin then return to full rolling boil for one minute. Ladle into jars and place in water bath for 10 minutes. Now you can enjoy this super sweet summer treat until next peach season comes around!



No comments:

Post a Comment